The steps outlined below will assist you in installing an SSL certificate on NGINX SERVER. It is important to note that if you have multiple servers or devices, the certificate must be installed on each one that requires security.
If you have not yet generated your certificate and finished the validation process, refer to our CSR Generation Instructions before proceeding with the instructions below.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR NGINX SERVER:
Step 1: Obtain an SSL certificate
- Obtain an SSL certificate from a trusted certificate authority (CA) such as DigiCert, GlobalSign, or Comodo.
Step 2: Generate a strong Diffie-Hellman group
- SSH into the server and navigate to the Nginx directory: cd /etc/nginx
- Generate a strong Diffie-Hellman group: openssl dhparam -out dhparam.pem 2048
Step 3: Create a new SSL directory and copy the certificate files
- Create a new directory for the SSL certificate and key files: mkdir /etc/nginx/ssl
- Copy the SSL certificate and key files to the new directory: cp cert.crt key.key /etc/nginx/ssl/
Step 4: Update the Nginx configuration
- Open the Nginx configuration file: nano /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
- Add the following to the server block: